Sunday, October 19, 2008

frenching with michel thomas - pt 5

part 5 transcript after the jump >>.

















you have to wait | vous devez attendre
he has to wait | il doit attendre
I have to wait | je dois attendre
I'm going to wait here | je vais attendre ici
everybody is going to wait | tout le monde va attendre
nobody can wait | personne peut attendre
can you? | pouvez-vous?
you can | vous pouvez
I would like to know if you can come with me now | je voudrais savoir si vous pouvez venir avec moi maintenant

can you wait here? | pouvez-vous attendre ici?
we can | nous pouvons
we cannot wait, we have to leave now | nous ne pouvons pas attendre, nous devons partir maintenant

how's it going? | comment ça va?
is it going to be ready soon? | ça vas être prêt bientôt

to do it | le faire
I would like to do it | je voudrais le faire
I must do it | je dois le faire
I am going to do it | je vais le faire
I am not going to do it | je ne vais pas le faire
we are going to do it | nous allons le faire
we are not going to do it now | nous n'allons pas le faire
you are going to do it | vous allez le faire
you are not going to do it | vous n'allez pas le faire

when | quand
when are you going to do it? | quand allez-vous le faire?
I am going to do it | je vais le faire
I am not going to do it | je ne vais pas le faire
he is going to do it | il va le faire
he is not going to do it | il ne vas pas le faire
because he cannot do it | parce que il ne peut pas le faire
but he must do it | mais il doit le faire
you have to do it | vous devez le faire
we have to do it | nous devons le faire
I cannot do it now | je ne peut pas le faire maintenant
can you do it? | pouvez-vous le faire?
we cannot do it | nous ne pouvons pas le faire


I would like to do it | je voudrais le faire
to see it, to see him | le voir
I am going to see it tonight | je vais le voir ce soir
I cannot understand it | je ne peux pas le comprendre

to take | prendre
I am going to take it | je vais le prendre
I would like to know it | je voudrais le savoir
I must know it | je dois le savoir

I would like to have it | je voudrais l'avoir
I must have it today | je dois l'avoir aujourd'hui
when you want to have it? | quand voulez-vous l'avoir?
to buy | acheter

I would like to buy it because I must have it | je voudrais l'acheter parce que je dois l'avoir
will you prepare it for me | voulez-vous le préparer pour moi?
will you accept the condition | voulez-vous accepter la condition?
thank you very much | merci beaucoup
many, much, very much | beaucoup
(you never say très beaucoup in French)

I would like very much to accept the condition | je voudrais beaucoup accepter la condition
but I cannot accept it | mais je ne peux pas l'accepter
because it is not acceptable for me that way | parce que ce n'est pas acceptable pour moi comme ça
I'm going to see it tonight | je vais le voir ce soir

her | la
to see her | la voir
I'm going to see her tonight | je vais aller la voir ce soir
them | les
to see them | les voirs

to see you | vous voir
I would like to see you | je voudrais vous voir
I'm going to see you tonight | je vais vous voir ce soir
I hope | j'espère 
to hope | espérer
(in French, the conjunction "that" is compulsory)

that | que
I hope I'm going to see you | j'espère que je vais vous voir
because I would like very much to see you | parce que je voudrais beaucoup vous voir

to see us | nous voir
to see me | me voir
can you come see me? | pouvez-vous venir me voir?

to understand it | le comprendre
I cannot understand you | je ne peux pas vous comprendre
can you understand me? | pouvez-vous me comprendre?

to tell it | le dire
I must tell you | je dois vous dire
I am going to tell you later | je vais vous dire plus tard
to find | trouver
we find | nous trouvons
I find | je trouve
would you tell me where it is because I cannot find it | voulez-vous me dire où c'est parce que je ne peux pas le trouver

will you tell me | voulez-vous me dire
can you tell me | pouvez-vous me dire
expensive, dear | cher
it is very expensive | c'est très cher
it is too expensive | c'est trop cher
will you tell me how much it is because I would like to have it and I'm going to buy it if it is not too expensive | voulez-vous me dire combien c'est parce que je voudrais l'avoir et je vais l'acheter, si ce n'est past trop cher
I would like to buy it | je voudrais l'acheter
I am going to buy it | je vais l'acheter
to call | appeler
to phone | téléphoner
will you call me later | voulez-vous m'appeler plus tard

can you call me later? | pouvez-vous m'appeler plus tard?
when can you call me? | quand pouvez-vous m'appeler?
when are you going to call me? | quand allez-vous m'appeler?
I am going to call you later | je vais vous appelez plus tard
will you call me later and can you tell me at what time it is going to be ready, because I must have it today if it is possible | voulez-vous m'appeler plus tard et pouvez-vous me dire à quelle heure ça va être prêt, parce que je dois l'avoir aujourd'hui si c'est possible
because I have to have it today | parce que je dois l'avoir aujourd'hui
I cannot understand him | je ne peux pas le comprendre

to wait | attendre
(attendre is used like "to await", not "to wait for somebody")
will you wait for me? | voulez-vous m'attendre?
can you wait for me? | pouvez-vous m'attendre?
I am going to wait for you | je vais vous attendre
I am in a hurry | je suis pressé

I'm sorry but I cannot wait for you because I am very much in a hurry and I have to leave soon | je regrette mais je ne peut pas vous attendre parce que je suis très pressé et je dois partir bientôt
I'm going to see him | je vais le voir
(when him is used in the sense "to him", the French word is not le but lui)

to carry, wear | porter
to bring | apporter
I'm going to bring you something | je vais vous apporter quelque chose
the book | le livre
I am going to bring you the book | je vais vous apporter le livre
to send | envoyer
I'm going to send him the book | je vais lui envoyer le livre
I want to send it to him | je vais le lui envoyer

will you send it to him | voulez-vous le lui envoyer
when can you send it to him? | quand pouvez-vous le lui envoyer?
I'm going to see him tonight and I'm going to give him the book | je vais le voir ce soir, et je vais lui donner le livre
to her | lui
I'm going to see her tonight and I'm going to give her the book | je vais la voir ce soir, et je vais lui donner le livre
to who, to whom | à qui?
it is for me | c'est pour moi

it is for him | c'est pour lui
it is for her | c'est pour elle 
(note that after pour, we say elle and not lui)
with him | avec lui
with her | avec elle

No comments:

Post a Comment