Friday, August 8, 2008

frenching with michel thomas - part 2

Man, the second tape took me about week to absorb. I thought i could master the second tape in two days but obviously it gets tougher, and also have been busy working on some other stuff (ie. reading, watching lots of tv, etc etc)

Anyway, transcript of second tape is after the jump >>. I'm just showing off what i've learned and memorized (sorta) ;).









what impression do you have of the political and economical situation in France?
| quelle impression avez-vous de la situation politique et économique en France?
at the present time | à présent
what kind of reservation do you have for me? | quelle sorte de réservation avez-vous pour moi?
what kind of reservation do you want for tonight? | quelle sorte de réservation voulez-vous pour ce soir?

small | petit
it is very small | c'est très petit
too, too much | trop
it is too small | c'est trop petit
late | tard
it is very late
| c'est très tard
it is too late
| c'est trop tard
it is too much for me
| c'est trop pour moi

he is big
| il est grand
she is big
| elle est grande
she is little
| elle est petite

fast
| vit
it is very fast
| c'est très vit
it is too fast for me
| c'est trop vite pour moi

to speak (infinitive verbs end -r e.g. parler)
you speak
| vous parlez
you speak too fast for me
| vous parlez trop vit pour moi
to go
| aller
you go, you are going
| vous allez
you are going too fast for me
| vous allez trop vite pour moi
it is very good
| c'est très bon
so
| si
it is so good
| c'est si bon
if
| si
if it is so good
| si c'est si bon
I would like to know if it is so good
| je voudrais savoir si c'est si bon
why
| pourquoi
I would like to know why it is so good
| je voudrais savoir pourquoi c'est si bon

I would like to know where you are going
| je voudrais savoir où vous allez
I would like to know where you are going to have dinner tonight
| je voudrais savoir où vous allez dîner ce soir

port, harbour
| port
airport
| aéroport
door
| porte
(for consonance may be pronounced at the end of the word: c, r, f, l, the so-called “careful” consonants. For example avec, sac, but not words ending -nc e.g. blanc)
bag
| sac
white
| blanc
franc
| franc
white wine
| vin blanc
a glass
| un verre
a glass of white wine
| un verre de vin blanc
I would like a glass of white wine
| je voudrais un verre de vin blanc
bottle
| bouteille
I would like a bottle
| je voudrais une bouteille
I would like a bottle of white wine
| je voudrais une bouteille de vin blanc
water
| eau
from
| de
I would like a glass of white wine
| je voudrais un verre de vin blanc
I would like a glass of water
| je voudrais un verre d'eau
I would like a glass of mineral water
| je voudrais un verre d'eau minérale
(words ending -el, -al are the same in French)
normal
| normal
normally
| normallement
general
| général
generally
| généralement
animal
| animal
special
| spécial
especially for you
| spécialement pour vous
cup
| tasse
I would like a cup of coffee
| je voudrais une tasse de café

still, still more
| encore
a little
| un peu
I would like a little
| je voudrais un peu

it is very late
| c'est très tard
it is too late
| c'est trop tard
later, more late
| plus tard

will you come later
| voulez-vous venir plus tard
a little
| un peu
a little later
| un peu plus tard
will you come a little later
| voulez-vous venir un peu plus tard
now
| maintenant
not now
| pas maintenant
possibly
| possiblement
not now, possibly a little later
| pas maintenant, possiblement un peu plus tard

I would like to eat something
| je voudrais manger quelque chose
("s" between two vowels has the sound of a "z")

I would like to eat the same thing
| je voudrais manger la même chose
other
| autre
the other thing
| l'autre chose
another thing
| une autre chose
something else
| autre chose
I would like something else
| je voudrais autre chose
to see
| voir
goodbye
| au revoir

I would like to see something else
| je voudrais voir autre chose
do you have something else?
| avez-vous autre chose?
do you want something else?
| voulez-vous autre chose?

to know
| savoir
to have
| avoir
to see
| voir
I would like to have something else
| je voudrais avoir autre chose
I would like to know
| je voudrais savoir
I would like a glass of white wine
| je voudrais un verre de vin blanc
I would like another glass of white wine
| je voudrais encore un verre de vin blanc
another please! (to waiter)
| encore
I would like another bottle of white wine
| je voudrais encore une bouteille de vin blanc
I would like a cup of coffee
| je voudrais une tasse de café
I would like another cup of coffee
| je voudrais encore une tasse de café
I would like a glass of mineral water
| je voudrais un verre d'eau minérale
I would like another glass of mineral water
| je voudrais encore un verre d'eau minérale

(the final -r is pronounced, except in -er e.g. parler. 90% of French verbs end -er)
to go
beef
| bœuf

(explanation of what noun, adjective and verb means. Infinitives end -er, -ir and -re)
to leave
| partir
to sleep
| dormir

to understand
| comprendre

(when two or three verbs appear consecutively, all but the first are in infinite form)

will you come eat with me
| voulez-vous venir manger avec moi
I must
| je dois
I must speak with you
| je dois parler avec vous
will you speak French with me
| voulez-vous parler français avec moi
I must know where it is
| je dois savoir où c'est
I am
| je suis
tired
| fatigué
busy
| occupé

I can
| je peux
I can a little
| je peux un peu
not now
| pas maintenant
not for me thank you
| pas pour moi merci

I cannot
| je ne peux pas
(French uses a negative signal ne for any kind of negation, which is often dropped in the spoken language, e.g "I cannot" je peux pas)

I am not
| je ne suis pas
I'm not tired now
| je ne suis pas fatigué maintenant
but I'm very busy now
| mais je suis très fatigué maintenant
but I'm not very busy now
| mais je ne suis pas très occupé maintenant

No comments:

Post a Comment